Enter the N.E.W Pitch for your chance to win R 50 000 to produce a documentary short...You could be the next N.E.W filmmaker!
Let's create a path to conservation through film as we discover the next generation of nature, environment and wildlife filmmakers!
- One page Motivation Letter
- Max. 1 page Synopsis
- Max. 2 Page Narrative Treatment / Story Outline - Submit an outline that clearly indicates how the proposed story will be told in an 8-10 minute short documentary film
- Max. 1 page Visual/Creative Treatment or Style
- Evidence of Research - One page Research Report
- Applicant Profile/CV including Filmography, if applicable
- Copy of South African ID Card/Book or African Passport
- Copy of Student Card (If Applicable)
- Open to African student/emerging filmmakers, conservationists or scientists
- Applicant must be aged 18 – 35 years
- Matriculants aged 16 – 18 may be considered based on their motivations
- Applicants should not have previously received funding for the development and/or production of a short or feature length film in any genre, excluding student films.
- Propose a documentary short film concept that is an engaging, innovative and inspirational natural history, environmental or conservation story.
- The concept or story must not have been developed or produced by you previously.
- The films are required to be between 8 and 10 minutes long only.
- Applications should be submitted online ONLY.
- Finalists are required to pitch in front of the congress audience and judging panel, if selected for the N.E.W Pitch.
- Selected finalists will be allocated a total of 10 minutes pitching time comprised of a 5 minutes pitch and 5 minutes for questions and answers.
- Audio visual and /or supporting material may be used in the pitch.
- As part of the application, finalists must demonstrate evidence of research and that they have acquired underlying rights or life story elements required to produce the short film.
- All pitches must be in English.
- A Jury of four industry professionals will be appointed by the NEWF Congress.
- NEWF Congress Delegate Registration fees are waived for N.E.W Pitch entrants and finalists.
- Notification: Only finalists will be notified
Terms & Conditions for selected winners:
- The budget of the development, production and post production should not exceed R50 000.00.
- Additional funding may NOT be sourced for this particular project
- Winners will be paid out in tranches upon approval of development milestones and deliverables.
- Failure to meet deadlines could result in disqualification from this programme.
- The winning filmmakers will be required to produce their short films within a year and will have access to mentorship opportunities conducted by industry professionals during this period.
- As NEWF, we will endeavour to arrange a once-off broadcast on South African television. This broadcast does not guarantee a license fee been paid to the filmmaker.
- The intellectual property of the Documentary Short Film shall remain with the beneficiary.
- The NEWF Development Fund reserves the right to use images, information, portions of the media produced as a result of the N.E.W Pitch Documentary Short Film Pitching Competition for promotional purposes (across all media) and for inclusion and screening in the 2020 NEWF Congress programme.
- The NEWF Development Fund reserves the right but does not guarantee the screening of the completed documentary short as part of the NEWF Congress 2020 programme.
- The NEWF Development Fund reserves the right to combine the four (4) winning documentaries into a 48 – 52 minute documentary special.
- The NEWF Development Fund reserves the right to screen, at no charge, and display documentaries at NEWF Community Cinema Screenings, and include documentaries in retrospective programs at future NEWF Congress’s.
- No fees are paid for films, media or material selected to screen or be displayed in the events described above or will be charged by NEWF in this regard.
- The beneficiary has the right to arrange any screenings or broadcasts of his/her documentary short film and associated media as well as entry into festivals.
- The NEWF Congress, NEWF Development Fund ,N.E.W Pitch, and all other relevant funder and mentor logos should appear in the credits of the documentary short film.
- The NEWF Development Fund reserves the right to copy media and documentaries submitted and to store A DVD or digital copy of all films in the Congress’s Video Library (for archival, reference, and, with proper permission, educational and screening purposes).
- A high-quality master, as per the funding agreement, will be required from the beneficiary - (High Definition files on an external drive are preferred).
- The NEWF Congress and NEWF Development Fund reserves the right to archive in perpetuity a copy of the Documentary short film and associated media.
- All documentary short films completed through the NEWF Development Fund are eligible for free inclusion in the NEWF Community Cinema programme for the period of one year. Thereafter the filmmaker may charge a license fee.
For more info email firstname.lastname@example.org